733 Industrial Rd and 930 Brittan Ave, San Carlos, CA 94070
953 Indiana Street, San Francisco, CA 94107
Full Time, Mondays to Fridays, 8:00am to 5pm
MBC BioLabs is the Bay Area’s premier launchpad for early-stage life-science companies…and we are growing! With innovative entrepreneurs applying every day and not enough space to accommodate them all, we are now opening a second campus in San Carlos to complement our San Francisco location.
This is a unique role and a rewarding opportunity to join the best life science incubator community in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Lead a growing team dedicated to providing an exceptional co-working experience for life science entrepreneurs and oversee our state-of the-art laboratories and campus facilities.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
You will be responsible for
- Laboratory, Facilities and IT operations for the San Francisco and San Carlos campuses totaling 78,000 square feet and growing
- Leading a growing team dedicated to ensuring an exceptional client and laboratory experience
- Develop strong rapport with clients and use insights into their evolving needs to develop and implement unique service offerings that maintain our leadership position with entrepreneurs
- Inculcate efficient and sustainable building, technology and people processes to meet our client needs and comply with regulatory and EHS requirements
- Program manage routine operations and special projects
- Develop budgets, effectively forecast and manage within targets
- Forge strong partnerships with suppliers, negotiate effective purchase agreements and manage inventory
- Oversee new construction for our continued expansion
Skills and Experience
- Scientific/Laboratory related leadership experience in a commercial environment
- Exceptional people leader with a track record of selecting and nurturing strong performers
- Agile/Lean process and people leadership experience developing standards, promoting process improvement
- Highly organized and results driven
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Experience in a client-service environment is vitally important, such as running an incubator or laboratory technical support preferably in life sciences industry
- Budgeting and reporting
- Strong interpersonal skills, a connector, with genuine interest in supporting the success of others
- Self-motivated, routinely initiate and deliver projects successfully with minimal supervision
- Strong IT skills
- Masters Level Scientific Education or commensurate experience preferred
Why MBC BioLabs?
For the last 14 years, we have been working to transform the life-science industry by enabling entrepreneurial scientists to create companies that are fast, focused, frugal! It used to be that it took millions of dollars and 6-10 months before a biotech startup could do their first experiment. We have radically changed that paradigm. Our labs allow startups to start gathering critical data in their first week – if not their first day; and they can do this for as little as couple of thousand dollars per month.
We give entrepreneurial scientists with a dream a chance to prove the value of their technology even though the venture community may have turned their back on them. When we started this 6 years ago, everyone said this would be a waste of time – “you’ll just create a intensive care unit for little companies.” Since we opened the doors of MBC BioLabs we have helped 167 companies get going, and those companies have gone on to raise over $4 billion and bring more than a dozen treatments to the clinic. This is what we mean when we say, we enable awesome!
However, we are not finished yet. We believe that we can continue to innovate. Working with you, we can find ways to make our startups even faster and more efficient, and that these improvements will mean that even more great science will turn into important treatments for patients.