Website Switch Bioworks
The living fertilizer company
About us: Switch Bioworks is an early stage biotech startup that spun out of Stanford. Our mission is to feed a growing world sustainably by displacing industrial nitrogen fertilizer that is damaging the planet. To do this, we’ve developed and patented a new technology based on synthetic biology and the natural plant microbiome. We are looking for talent to help us realize our vision. Some call it a moonshot. We call it an earthshot.
About the position: As a Research Associate, you will be coming in on the ground floor to work with our team on constructing and testing genetic circuits, building strains for real-word applications, and helping characterize strain performance in soil and on plants. You will be involved in experimental work based on the skills listed below and data analysis + troubleshooting. Additionally, you will learn about startup operations and have a direct role in growing a deep-tech biotech company.
Characteristics of a successful candidate:
- Ability to work full-time in the US and be on-site in the California Bay Area.
- At least 2 years of wet-lab experience in the life sciences. (Note: to properly acknowledge your previous experience, if you have 3+ years of wet-lab experience, we will bring you on as a RA II or Senior RA).
- Skills in all or most of the following molecular biology techniques: bacterial culturing, PCR, qPCR, gel electrophoresis, Gibson assembly (design and execution), transformation (chemical, electrical, conjugative), DNA purification, Sanger sequencing and analysis, plate reader assays, fluorescence microscopy.
- Preferred (but not required): experience in growing and handling plants (gnotobiotic hydroponics or soil).
- Excellent presentation, writing, and data analysis skills; ability to clearly communicate technical information to colleagues.
- A team player excited to work with scientists and grow upward.
- An execution-focused self-starter – a generalist problem solver with drive to acquire new skills as needed.
- Positive can-do attitude.
Want to learn more or apply? E-mail the following to email@example.com: (1) your resume, (2) a paragraph or cover letter about why you’re excited to join Switch, (3) when you’d want to start. We’ll take it from there!
See here for other opportunities at Switch!
To apply for this job please visit www.switchbioworks.com.