Apply at indeed
Do Work that Matters. Enable Awesome. Have Fun. Grow with Us.
Are you familiar with coworking spaces? Imagine that . . . for life science laboratories.
As Operations Manager, you’ll collaborate with the executive leadership team to set direction, lead and develop people, serve clients, manage operations, and apply lean thinking & systematic problem solving to continuously improve.
We currently operate three coworking laboratories with 12 team members and have plans to triple in size in the next two years. You’ll directly lead each lab’s site lead and partner with the site lead to collaboratively lead the rest of the team. Your leadership will make sure that our facilities are robust, productive, and fun and that our team is proud, growing, and happy.
You want to do work that matters.
As a leader of people, you love the opportunity to enable awesome in others.
You believe that we should have fun at work – with our teammates and our clients.
You dislike stagnation, and instead want to grow with us.
Why MBC BioLabs:
We launched MBC BioLabs to solve an important problem – some of the most important discoveries – ideas that could save lives – are often passed over. To solve this problem, we developed a new model. We rent space as small as a single bench in beautiful and well-equipped labs. Now, scientific entrepreneurs can turn their ideas into reality even if all they have is a credit card and a dream.
Our team is what makes this possible. Working together, we keep the labs efficient. By responding to our clients’ requests, keeping the labs well organized and clean, and maintaining fully functional equipment – we allow the scientists to focus on science.
Your Special Sauce:
You thrive at the intersection of people development, customer service, and operations improvement.
- Respect for people is at the foundation of your leadership.
- With a strong team identity, you enjoy collaborative decision making and work environments.
- You have a growth mindset and appreciate the iterative process of learning and improving.
At MBC BioLabs, we practice lean continuous improvement and serve the life science biotech industry. While you don’t need direct experience in either, you do have to be interested and willing to learn new ways of thinking and working (and apply them and teach them to others!)
Your Role and Responsibilities:
As Operations Manager, you report directly to the executive leadership team, supporting the day-to-day laboratory operations, facilities management, and lean improvement operations.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Supporting Facilities and operations for the San Francisco and San Carlos campuses totaling 78,000 square feet and growing to >200,000 square feet
- Lead and develop Site Leads so that they effectively lead teams, manage sites, develop people, and improve operations
- Collaboratively lead, teach, and coach a growing team dedicated to ensuring an exceptional client and laboratory experience
- Develop strong rapport with clients and use insights into their evolving needs to develop and implement unique service offerings that maintain our leadership position with entrepreneurs
- Collaborating with leadership in direction setting, decision making and process changes
- Developing aligned key performance indicators and maintaining visual management systems
- Facilitate efficient and sustainable building, technology and people processes to meet our client needs and comply with regulatory and EHS requirements
- Program manage routine operations and special projects
- Forge strong partnerships with suppliers, negotiate effective purchase agreements and manage inventory
- Oversee new construction for our continued expansion
Your Skills & Experience:
- Experience in leading people, with a track record of selecting and nurturing strong performers
- Experience in a client-service environment, with proven abilities to deliver exceptional service standards
- Strong interpersonal skills, a connector, with genuine interest in supporting the success of others
- Experience managing day-to-day operations
- Collaborative leadership and work style
- Experience in (or ability and willingness to learn and adapt quickly) lean thinking, culture, and practices
Due to the higher threat of more infectious and deadly COVID-19 variant strains emerging, we have a new mandatory vaccination policy that our employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. We will make reasonable accommodations for valid exemptions based on disability, medical, or religious reasons. With this policy, we join a growing list of organizations that are prioritizing sound science and available facts to best ensure the ongoing safety of employees and the community.